Wednesday, January 12, 2011

God Speaks Even Through Alarm Clocks

Today marks one year since my dear friend Carson Leslie lost his battle with cancer and went to be with Jesus. For me it has been a day of remembrance, sadness and at the same time smiles in thinking about Carson and who he was as a person. However, the impact of today did not hit me until several minutes ago.

The day started for me waking up long before my alarm was due to go off and when I looked at the clock it was 3:33. Unable to get back to sleep my thoughts turned to Carson and the 1 year mark and I began to pray. Part of my prayer was "God, I am not sure why I am awake now, but I know your trying to convey something to me from the numbers 3:33 and would you please reveal that to me."

I finally got up helped get the kids off to school and started the work day with my thoughts on Carson and thinking about 3:33 and what God was trying to say to me.

This afternoon he gave me my answer in a way I could have never imagined. I was talking with my brother and recounted for him my waking up and told him it was 3:33. With both of us being U2 fans he recounted for me the lyrics of their song Unknown Caller, some of which are:

I was lost between the midnight and the dawning
In a place of no consequence or company
3:33 when the numbers fell off the clock face
Speed dialling with no signal at all

Go, shout it out, rise up
Oh, oh
Escape yourself, and gravity
Hear me, cease to speak that I may speak
Shush now
Oh, oh
Force quit and move to trash

He then told me that the song was about the interaction between us and God when we are at the end of our rope and He is trying to speak to us and in order for us to listen we need to be quiet. The 3:33 is in reference to Jeremiah 33:3 which reads "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."

In thinking about Carson and what I learned from him - how he lived his life, how he faced death, how he related to God, I can say I learned things that I did not know. To see how God has used his story to reach thousands is truly great and unsearchable. To think that God would use an alarm clock and ordain it that He woke me up at that time to provide me a message of triumph and comfort is more than I can comprehend.

God speaks and does so in amazing and unsearchable ways.

3 comments:

madisonboho said...

I love you blog. I have to tell you the most mind boggling story. My mother has stage four level colon cancer & right now we are in the hospital. While I was reading this blog she was telling our family how her sister (who is a minister by the way) has been robbing her blind. She's been capatilizing on my mother's sickness. Anyway to make a long story short. My mother stated that she put her sister on a pedastool and because she called to God, he revealed to her that her sister need to be knocked off that pedastool, because she's human...she is not God. as soon as she finished that statement I read the section of this blog when you quoted the scripture Jeremiah 33:3 and it was just such a conformation. I thank you for posting this. I will be following your blog. I look forward to reading more.

mrtlhrnndz973@gmail.com said...

i like your blogs..
thanks for sharing..
God Bless..
Hope more post to come..
Alaska Salmon Fishing
Seattle Home
Log Cabin Home Plans
Log Home Plans

Cheap Web Hosting said...

Really really amazing blog and great articles. Thank you very much for sharing all this. Nice Design!